Saturday, May 22, 2010

A few garden problems....?

1. Half of my garden is INCREDIBLY shady and rarely gets direct sunlight; all that grow there are these odd ferns and fungi which I can't stand and have to keep trying to pull up. What can I put there instead?


2. During the winter, half of one of my rose plants snapped off! Will it be ok/what do I do? Do I really need to fertilize them again in spring?


3. What kind of light do sweet pea bushes need?

A few garden problems....?
I have a similar shade problem. You can try plants like hosta, they do well in shade. There are many many varieties of hosta, some a very beautiful. There are decorative ferns that do well in the shade too. I have a Japanese Fern that has purple tints on the ends of the leafs. Another plant that does well in the shade is rhododendron or azalea, they are very low maintenance too.





Your roses will probably be fine. If you live where it gets really cold on the winter (I live in New England) you should mound up composted cow manure around the base of the rose, right about the time that the ground freezes. When the ground thaws out (tulips start to grow) remove the manure to form a well around the base of your rose. When your rose starts to show some life then you want to start fertilizing it. You should fertilize your roses on a regular basis and be sure they are in a very sunny spot. You can cut off all the broken parts of the rose. New growth will appear under where it was cut back.
Reply:try going to hgtv.com. They have alot of gardening videos %26amp; info on everything from plants to light to dirt to garden plans. What will grow where for your zone.


No comments:

Post a Comment